Friday, September 17, 2010

A genetics primer

When I write posts, I try to keep the jargon down to a minimum and explain the terms that I use. I don't want to turn this into a primer about genetics blog, as there are plenty of resources that exist. Of course, the problem is finding a good one when you aren't sure about your knowledge to begin with....

That being said, I recently stumbled across the Learn. GeneticsTM site, maintained by the University of Utah. Instead of the usual wall of text, they have little flash animations which make the info easier to absorb. There are also interactive modules and virtual labs so you can try out techniques that are used in laboratories during molecular studies. I have to admit to a certain amount of geeky glee as I cloned a virtual mouse.

I like this site well enough to put a link to it on the side. If you feel like playing around in a virtual lab and picking up some basic genetics, go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment